Scroll to content
School Logo

Cookham Dean CE Primary School

Where we all flourish

You make known to me the path of life.
Psalm 16 verse 11

Frequently Asked Questions

How much is a school hot lunch?

Presently the daily cost is £2.36.


How do children order their lunch?

All lunches are ordered by parents via an online payment system, details of this are sent home when your child starts school.  The lunch menu is sent home on a termly basis so parents and carers can discuss the daily options with their children. The lunch menu is also available on the school website. All lunches must be ordered by midnight the previous day.


What time does school start?

The children need to be in class for registration by 8.45am. The school gates open at 8.35am when there will be a teacher on duty to supervise the children. Children must not be left unaccompanied on the school site before this time. Reception, We have a soft start to the day which means that as soon as children arrive at school, they go straight into their classroom and start their morning work.


Where can I buy uniform?

School uniform is available to buy from Goyals. You can order online ( or visit their shop in Maidenhead. More information can be found on the Uniform Ordering tab. 


How do I make an application for a school place?

If you would like to apply for a Reception place then please make your applications through the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead’s standard school application procedure.


If you would like to apply for a place within KS1 or KS2 then this will need to be done with an In Year Transfer Application Form. This form is available under Key Information and then Admissions. Please also read the Admissions Policy found in the Policies section.


What should I do if my child is bullied?

If you feel your child is being bullied then please contact the school immediately and make an appointment to see your child’s teacher. The school’s behaviour policy and anti-bullying policy are available on the school website.


Can I park at the school?

There is no onsite parking available at the school.


We operate an informal one-way system around the school between the hours of 08:30 and 09:00 and 15:00 and 15:30 to ease the flow of traffic around the school and minimise any risk to the children. The school also operates a ‘kiss and drop’ drop off zone.


If you are coming to the school during the school day to attend an event or for a meeting, you will need to park on the roads located around the school. However, the school is located in a residential area, so please park with consideration to our neighbours and ensure you are not blocking any driveways.



  • Park on the corners or junctions of roads around the school, this is dangerous and illegal.
  • Park on the zig zag lines outside the school.
  • Park on grass verges.    
  • Park in the 'kiss and drop' zone.                        


Can my child cycle to school?

Children are encouraged to walk and cycle to school with their families. There are bike racks in the playground for bikes to be secured throughout the school day.


Can my child walk to and from school alone?

We would prefer all children to be dropped off and picked up by an adult. However, we accept that as the children move into Years 5 and 6 some children may want to walk to and from school on their own. This decision is left to parents but the school needs to be informed of the decision, a school form completed and the arrangements in place.


What should I put in my child’s packed lunch?

At Cookham Dean we operate a healthy lunch policy and we recommend lunches that are healthy and that will aid concentration for the afternoon sessions. Fizzy drinks, sweets and chocolate are not permitted in packed lunches or as snacks and no glass containers should be brought into school.


What do I do if my child has lost a piece of clothing?

It is highly recommended that all uniform and belongings are labelled with your child’s full name. This makes it much easier to locate missing items within the school day. If your child does lose an item of clothing then you are welcome to come into the classroom or cloakroom to help them look for it. If the item cannot be found then it may have been put in the lost property box located in the lobby area leading to the hall or in the KS1 cloakroom.


Where will my child go when they finish Cookham Dean in Year 6?

At the end of Year 6, children move onto a variety of schools in the area. Our feeder schools are Furze Platt Senior School and Altwood CofE Senior School. There are also Newlands' Girls School and Desborough School for Boys should families prefer to choose a single sex school. Some children may take the 11+ transfer test and continue their education in the selective grammar school system.


When will my child start in Reception?

At Cookham Dean all children of reception age will start full time at the beginning of the academic year in September.


Can my child bring toys in to school?

We do not allow children to bring toys or other items from home into school. This eliminates the risk of items becoming damaged, broken or lost. There may be occasions when the teacher will ask for specific items to be brought in from home and on these occasions the teacher will make sure that the items are stored securely.


Can I receive the newsletter/letters by email?

Newsletters are emailed out to families every Friday and are also uploaded to the school website. 


What is the best time to talk to the teacher if I have a question?

If you need to have a quick word with your child’s class teacher then it is best to speak to them before or after school. If, however, you need to speak to the teacher about a more serious matter, you will need to contact the school office to make an appointment to see them.


Is there before and after school provision?

Cookham Dean has a breakfast club and after school club managed by WrapAroundCare4u. It runs from 07.30 to school registration and from end of school until 16.30, 17.30 or 18.30. You can register on their booking system here:


How can parents get involved?

At Cookham Dean parents are welcome to help out in school and all help is greatly appreciated. If you would like to help out in class or with a specific project then please contact the school office, the PTA or your child’s class teacher.


Do I need to have a DBS check to volunteer in school or help with school trips?

All volunteers in school or on school trips need to have a current and valid DBS check.


How do I complete a DBS check?

If you need to complete a DBS check, please book an appointment with the school office and the office manager will complete the process with you. You will need to bring in specific information to verify your identity but this will be explained once your appointment has been booked.


What do I do if my child needs medication?

All medicines must be handed into the school office with a signed medical consent form, which is available to download from the Medical Information tab. Medication will only be administered by a member of staff with the parents/carers written consent. All medication must be brought into school daily and not kept in school overnight.


What do I if my child has a medical appointment during school time?

We would encourage all parents to make medical appointments outside of the school day or during the school holidays. However, when it is an emergency and you need to take your child to a medical appointment during the school day then please let the office know.


Can I take my child on holiday during term time?

As a school, we are not able to grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are ‘exceptional circumstances’. Exceptional circumstances are likely to be one off situations where the headteacher is satisfied that the circumstances warrant the granting of leave. Holidays are unlikely to be circumstances where leave is granted.


A leave of absence request form (available on the Absence page) must be completed at least 14 days before the planned leave to ensure that the headteacher has sufficient time to consider the request. 


Please note that parents can be fined for taking their children on holiday during term time. Further details can be found in the Attendance Policy and the 'Attendance Penalty Notice - Guidance for Parents and Carers' on the Admissions and Policies tabs. 


Does the school impose fines for term time absence?

As mentioned above, parents and carers can be fined for term time absence. For further details please read the 'Attendance Penalty Notice - Guidance for Parents and Carers' on the Policies page. 


What is classed as an unauthorised absence?

If your child arrives after 09:00 then they will be marked as late and this will count towards their attendance percentage.


If you have requested a term time leave of absence and this has been declined, this will be marked as an unauthorised absence.


If your child is ill and unable to attend school but you do not let the school know why they are not in school, this will be marked as an unauthorised absence.


What do I do if my child is ill and cannot attend school?

If your child is ill and unable to come to school, please email the school office to let us know. Please contact the school by 09:15.


Does the school offer any extra-curricular clubs?

There are a range of extra-curricular clubs on offer at Cookham Dean. The clubs include sporting, creative and scientific activities. A full list of current clubs can be found on the School Clubs page along with the relevant sign up forms.


How can I apply for FSM?

If you are in receipt of benefits and believe you could be entitled to a free school meal, please contact the school office as we are able to earn extra funding by registering a pupil. Or if you prefer, you can apply for free school meals or pupil premium funding at:


What can I do if I don’t have access to the internet?

All correspondence is available in the school office.


Do I have to pay for school trips?

Parents may be asked to make voluntary contributions for any visits, trips or journeys organised by the school. Although contributions will not be a factor in deciding if a child participates, contributions may be a factor in deciding whether the activity can take place.